Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ray Daniels and Super Bowl



Here's a classroom shot at Siebel. Lots of history here that I'll try to record as much as possible. Note the head shots of Augy Busch III class of '61 and John Maier class of '86. The Siebel bier stube is a bar that dates back to the beginning of the school. VP Keith informed us that everyone that has ever been at class there has had quite a few beers at this bar. Stroh, Pabst, all the Busch family and many more. On tap was Bud American Ale and Sam Adam's Boston Lager. Not the highlight of the brew scene for me, but hey, the New Glarus guys dropped off a ton a beers for sampling as well. I met Ray Daniels; he'll be teaching for a week. All of the students were a bit star-struck.

I expected the students would be from breweries but only a few were. Most were entrepreneurs like myself and I found myself talking about the business side of brewing more than the brewing. One thing we all had in common was official beer-geekdom. One fellow sighed, looked around and said, "Well, now I know why people dress up at Star Wars conventions." Many of the students were from the west coast including three from Seattle, myself included. After the meet and greet we went across the street to Goose Island to watch the Steelers cheat their way to another Super Bowl win.

No comments: