Saturday, February 7, 2009

Friday of Immortal Darkness




We celebrated the first week's test by following one teachers to Piece Pizza and Brewery. Paul (shown) exemplified our feelings to this massively flat pizza.

I'm torn between the group of students that will surely be thought of as the "trouble makers" and just sitting back out of the action. No matter how much trouble we get ourselves into on this trip, I'll make sure I don't regret anything.

If you are ever going to Chicago, you should check out the Hopleaf. They have a massive selection of Belgians for what I found was quite affordable. I got a generous pour of Triple Karmeliet in proper glassware for $7. Beat that Brouwers!

What I have found kinda annoying is how many people pack every good bar on the weekends. Eric, Sara, Erin and I went next door to the 'Leaf to get even more pizza and Czechvar. Mmmm real Budweiser.

A few of the classmates and I made up a fictional brewery during class at breaks. I guess only beer nerds would find this funny but we were cracking ourselves up. Since the class is from all over the US, the goal is to go to brew events/festivals/web forums and make hype about a fictional brewery much like Spinal Tap. This small, eco-friendly brewery would be famous for brewing "Immortal Darkness". Whenever the teacher would describe an inefficient way of brewing, we would murmur under our breaths, "immortal darkness". "Dude, have you had Immortal Darkness? I heard they use fifty pounds of Summit per barrel! Yeah, intense! I also heard they use chocolate malt as their base and have a bike repair shop in the brewhouse! Man, I got to move to Portland. They make such gnarly beer."

No comments: