Saturday, February 28, 2009

Another great Friday


This was a crazy fun! At lunch we were shuttled to Laschet's german-style beer bar for German style tastings. It was a benefit to have Dr. Michael Zepf from Germany (shown here to the right) with us along with instructors Mary and Tim. Laschet's was kind of a mecca for Siebel students when the school was located closer. We tried every style of oxidized beer they had in the bottle and commented on them. The draught beer was in good condition although Michael insisted it would taste better in Munich. He was sort of a celebrity. If I were sitting at Prost in Greenwood and found out that the guy sitting next to me was a German brewmaster trained at Weihenstephan, I'd think it was pretty cool. After lunch, a few liters of DAB and some Celebrator, we were bused back to Siebel and started drinking on the Goose IPA keg.

Tim called last call at school and the bunch of us decided to check out Curt's new place. He recently had to move from the waterfront skyrise to the 58th floor of the John Hancock tower. That's us checking out the view on the left. Michael decided to come along since it was his last day before flying back to Bavaria. We drank beers in the dark and studied the view while asking Michael about mashing techniques, what to do in Munich, Barack Obama, the fusarium problem in Europe etc. Adam and I had a great conversation about Seattle breweries and where to hike in the Olympics and Cascades. It made me homesick, but I can't wait to go hiking with Shanna, Chris and Colin when I get back. Then we went to the top of the tower where there's a bar and had a drink.

After that we trained up to Wriglysville to check out another beer bar. Michael thought it was exciting that the subways were just like in the movies! It was packed at the Risque Cafe so we went to the Hofbrau house and finished a few litres of infected Hofbrau. This class has made us more sensitive the the effects of beer aging and lacto infection. I don't know if that's a good thing. I feel like a snob. Hofbrau is a government owned brewery so Michael thought it was funny to be at one in Chicago. I don't remember how many times I said "ein prosit" but I do remember saying it after the owner found out we had a real German with us and sent over Jaeger shots. I said my goodbyes and walked home shortly afterwards.

4 comments:

Mr. Kyle, Brewer said...

I firstly must say I'm very very jealous. Siebel seems like an educational form of heaven. Secondly, I must say that you need to keep tabs on the where to go in Chicago. The old lady is applying to SAIC and I've always had a serious interest in living there.

Keep up the blogging!

Anonymous said...

Great Blog Kevin. No relation here, except just a fellow beer lovin' Seattleite. Just happened to come across your adventure and have found myself quite envious. I will continue to follow. Enjoy & Cheers. ~Jason

Mandi said...

Remember that part where you said "I feel like a snob."? That's because you are.

Gacknoops said...

I'm so envious reading this post that I'm experiencing a gut sinking physical manifestations of loss...