Monday, March 16, 2009

Last weekend before Germany



Friday was the end of our six week brewing theory program. An end of power points? Boy I hope so. We finished the day with the fun program of beer and food pairing hosted by the notable beer writer Ray pictured here. What a great finish to all of our studying!

My favorite was St. Bernardus Apt 12 with muenster cheese. Flossmoor station nut brown with five year cheddar was also very notable. Ray's pick of the day was imperial IPA with carrot cake.

Saturday I met up with my Seattlite turned Chicagoian friend Eric and his sweetheart Sara to see Bonny "Prince" Billy at the Vic theater a few blocks from my house. He put on a great show as always playing hits off his new record and some oldies from "I see a darkness".

Although it was not St. Patricks Day over the weekend, we still had all the parades, the river dyed green and all the stupid drunks filling the streets. My Seattle comrades might not know how seriously these Chicagoians take their non-irish heritage. I saw hundreds of amateurs puking on the streets, screaming at the top of their lungs, and in some cases, driving over trees.

Sunday found me following Aric to Metropolitan Brewing to help with the process and have a few brews from this new lager brewery located in Chicago's Ravenswood neighborhood. Pictured is recent grad of Siebel, Doug in front of his brew kettle. Doug and Tracey are making some wonderful beers in the Chicagoland available at bars and in the bottle. If you're travelling to Chicagoland, I'd suggest checking their brews out. Flywheel is a hoppy Helles lager that is definitely a make-out session of noble, woody hops and slightly-sulfur Pils malt, quite drinkable! Dynamo is a clean, copper lager with a malt forward nose and chewy, Oktoberfest finish. Keep up the good work guys.

No comments: